Sunday, August 18, 2013

Diffusion of doubt and the effervescent action of hope: random thoughts from my morning walk

I find that organized  movement and processes provide examples.. metaphors for deeper truths. Perhaps that is one reason that when I am developing a new craft of skill, I get so energized by it that I am compelled to expound.   I have written about walking, knitting, spinning,weightlifting yoga, and now weaving.  I have discussed with anyone who would listen how each of these activities has illuminated to me the nature of change, life and God grace.  And it continues.
________________________________________________________________________________

Today I went for a walk.  I didn't want to, but I had told myself I would start before I could talk myself out of it and I did.  I hurt; I didn't get enough sleep, my pants were too tight. I felt old. But within a half mile a transition happened, as it always does. I know that happens, it was a discovery made the last time I started the habit of walking often and long.  In fact I rely upon it. I have found that while engaged in deep and abiding effort, when the sweat first starts to appear, doubt is diffused and hope arrives amid effervescence. 

 Diffusion is a" transport mechanism", if I remember my college class on thermodynamics correctly, diffusion flux is often described as action that is proportional to the negative gradient of concentrations. It goes from regions of higher concentration to regions of lower concentration, as Wiki describes. (had to confirm my memory) It was also described as a "random walk of the diffusing particles"...propelled by heat energy. 


 I experience diffusion as a wafting away into the miasma of dark filled bubbles,  with the ever expanding space between them slowly being filled with hope.  Or one could just say nature abhors a vacuum and as my mind empties I start to feel great. I like the word diffusion

I will pause while I think about  how I will return to my intended topic of weaving
as a metaphor.....

No comments:

Post a Comment