Sunday, May 10, 2009

I'm coming down with a metaphor ----o what a tangled web.




I spent almost three hours obsessed with untangling a tangled web of yarn. On the outside my yarn ball had looked like a perfectly normally wound ball, nice and neat.  About 6 inches into a simply lovely selfstriping silk yummy pair of socks, or at least they had the promise of becoming that, the yarn stopped.  I yanked.  I pulled harder, hoping the thread wouldn't break.  I started digging around for the source of the problem.  There it was.  I pulled it out.  With that one little stuck thread I drew about half the inner guts of the yarn ball.  Snarled.

I can do this, I thought.  SO I slowly, painstakingly loosened all the knots.  Grabbed at one little piece and tried to follow it, pausing for another that was knotted onto it, loosening that, seeing where another one led.

Three hours later the knotted yarn completely dominated the corner of the den.  My cat was eyeing me hopefully.  "A new game, a toy for me"  At least that's what I imagined him thinking.
A bit longer I lingered.  Sadly, I put the mess aside onto my desk.  Another day maybe I can find a way to salvage that wonderful silk thread.  

The metaphors this incident can elicit in my imagination are so many, I hesitate.  I think I will let the reader pull out her own.  Bet there is some corner of your life where the effort at untangling the thread could be used as a pedantic metaphor.  or something.  For me the metaphor will illustrate my life's efforts and hopes only when it gets untangled.  

1 comment:

  1. All of these posts and blogs - link this to this, follow me here, click on that - feel like the tangled ball of yarn. Slowly, I am unraveling them and putting them together into a pattern that will produce a beautiful web sparkling with dew. One that returns enough money to live off of and also offers the voices in my head a place to 'stick' and be lovely.

    ReplyDelete