Saturday, May 9, 2009

Spring has Sprung!



Spent half the day with my daughter, driving up the Columbia Gorge to the picturesque small town of Hood River.  Of Course we went all the way up the Gorge to do a very un-extraordinary thing of visiting a local yarn store.  Now there is absolutely nothing a yarn store could have that either of us need. As I have said elsewhere I have more yarn than I can possibly use in my remaining lifetime.  We were not deterred by such things as not really NEEDING anything.   We petted many lovely, locally grown and spun yarns; some sock yarn popped into my hands and I found myself buying a couple of items before we left town in a hurry.

It has been one of those o so beautiful days when everyone walks around in a daze from so few recent experiences with sunshine.  This is the kind of day when everyone uses phrases like, "isn't it gorgeous?"  and "What a glorious day!"  Very original.  But what a beauty of a day, with a perfect temperature and the colors  crisp and bright.  Later the frequency of the sunny days will fade the vividness of the colors, but not yet.  Now the greens are vivid and the blues electric.  

Anyone reading this from another part of the country may not be familiar with the Columbia Gorge.  If not let me share a typical photo of Rowena in the Gorge from a brochure and another one found on the internet  A simple google search produces hundreds.  None of my photos, or these  do the Gorge justice. ITs worthy of a three dimensional 360 degree look.

As pleasant as the view of the green  forests, the mountains, and the Columbia River, the best part was having a lovely time with my daughter.  Nice to be able to say my daughter is also my very good friend.  As much as I appreciated the gift she gave me today (a clever, sweet bag she knitted and lined) ;the  best Mother's Day present..is recognizing what a great friend my daughter has become.  

I'll be deep, properly cynical,  and attempt  to be clever another day, I feel  simply very good and very grateful  today.


2 comments:

  1. Oh and what a lovely day it was today in Portland! We went to the Portland French School's fair on their lawn and it was lovely. (That's my word for today. Lovely) There was live french music, kids having their faces painted and toddlers running around. A few vendors and some tasty food, too. Did I mention the loveliness of it all? Steve even got watery eyes over it!

    Happy Mother's Day - looks like you received a priceless gift today. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you mom, It was a great drive and you are wonderful company.
    Couldnt have been a better way to spend the time today.

    (do you know its the first time I've gone to a knit store and walked out without ONE little thing? Not one,lol.)

    ReplyDelete