Friday, June 5, 2009

Knitting as self-medication - finding the right prescription

Sometimes all I want to do is sit and knit. My hands start to itch at work when there is too much to do and too many voices and I am starting to feel a bit grumpy.

Yes, knitting is my prescription for grumpiness. When agitated as opposed to stressed and overworked, I am better with a simple lace, not too much of a challenge, but one I must attend to being careful to remember what comes next. In that way I find a clear route to sanity.

Now if I am feeling blue, its best if I knit in the round and do a straight stockinette. I can look inward, the knitting becomes a mantra. The yarn must be soft, a babyfine alpaca maybe. (Desperate depression may call for cashmere, but that brings in retail therapy and a 12 step program for overuse of that prescription could become necessary since it can be highly addictive). With a straight stockinette in the round, though my spirit can go out for a walk in the sunshine and when I raise my head up after many many stitches, I can usually get my feet planted and take that actual walk that my heart needs.

With boredom, comes the need for a more challenging task. That’s when I bring out the Lace chart, stitch markers, and lifelines. I prepare myself for a challenge of making the puzzle come together; the pattern becoming ingrained in my brains synapses. A rhythm starts to be first indentified, then made normal, then become so secondary that my fingers know its course, even if my brain decides to go elsewhere for the duration.

Knitting can be a prescription that evens out the bumpiness of a moody character.
Honest, I am not addicted. I could live without it. Maybe. Never tried. Dont intend to.

No comments:

Post a Comment