Saturday, July 4, 2009

Knitting with Baby Fine Alpaca


I am almost finished with a second shawl using the
Ishbel pattern . I chose a homespun babyfine 100% alpaca because it was soft and I am a tactile fiend. Of course I did not swatch and I did not research to discover if there were special attributes to this yarn choice.

As I knit, I noticed that the completed portion of the fabric tends to grow,and that the fiber has bloomed a bit under my hands. With belated curiosity I conducted a little google research.

Alpaca is a wondrous animal breed and grows an astonishingly soft and warm hair (or is it fur?). I doubt if everyone is as interested in the animal psychology and mating habits of alpaca, so I wont go into that aspect of my research. Here are links for two informative articles. http://tinyurl.com/l3o8fn is one written by Kelly and Bob Petkin from Knitpicks, and an Interweave article on the same topic http://tinyurl.com/n5lrvj

Alpaca is a lovely warm yarn, light and soft, almost as luxurious as cashmere. But Alpaca hasn't the crimp of wool and yarn made from it lacks elasticity. Alpaca knitted garments, I am informed, will stretch in length from their own weight so its likely a poor choice for heavier patterns, like cable. I am even dubious about the stockinette portion of my current projectI can only hope it will transform a bit during blocking because it seems to have a scrunched appearance, much less of a drape than the silk wool blend I used for this pattern previously. If used again, I will definitely choose an open, but less patterned, pattern. Maybe a simpler faggot, light and airy.

Another interesting fact is that the alpaca fiber is hollow, heavier than wool, and warmer than wool. My shawl, when done, will have a tendency to grow and will not be a summer garment but will be well suited to cold fall evenings.

The Alpaca animal is kinda cute, too. I include a picture copied from a blog about starting an Alpaca Farm. I live in a city which frowns on Alpaca herds within its limits, so this is not an option for my immediate future. Although, I did consider it very briefly.

Learning more about the fibers I use in my knitting helps to take my activity to a new level. I wonder if a smallish Alpaca would fit an urban backyard?

I jest. Honest, honey, I wouldn't.

Would be nice to have an endless supply of alpaca fiber. Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment