Friday, July 3, 2009

There is more to life than knitting - really there is



After spending in excess of eight hours knitting a shawl, I am knitting fatigued. Rose from bed at 5:00 am and found myself with a desire to hustle & bustle. I wanted to vacuum, clean-up, walk the dog, weed the garden, Suddenly I want the other me back; the one that rose early, walked for miles, loved intense spinning (bicycle, not yarn) classes.

Where did she go?

My husband mounted pictures all over the den of me at verious walking events: at the top of Mount Elinore tired and triumphant, crossing the marathon finish with a big smile, hugging my girl friend on a rain drenched hike in the Columbia Gorge. And one crossing a finish line that I almost didn't achieve. That one is my favorite. Although not attractive, its flattering in the way it shows off a tendency to tenacity. Tenacity is one of my few virtues, although some would prefer the term stubborn.

It was 2 and a half years ago I last walked in an event or went snowshoing and hiking. Over a year since I rode my bike. Several socks, sweaters, scarves, and shawls is what I have instead.

I am off to walk

Lana

1 comment:

  1. Lana - I absolutely thought of you over and over on the hike yesterday. I miss our hikes and pushing, pulling and motivating each other to do more in that wonderful way that friends can!

    After reading your post, I went back and looked at the Mt. Elinor pics (and others). Where have we been? I'm ready to come back.

    Cheers to your tenacity!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete