Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday Citar:Remember The white space

I value the white space as necessary to understand the meaning of the space that is filled.

When I attended my first ballet, a friendly mentor explained to me to fully appreciate the ballet, I needed to balance my perception by appreciating the white space ...paying attention to the space and the design formed by the pattern between the dancers.

When attending a museum as a young student, a teacher also explained this to me not only to understand design, but to appreciate the skill in properly hanging art along a wall in a manner that adds to the meaning and the qualities of it.

In poetry, this is also an apt metaphor I think. Poetry provides meaning not only by what is said overtly and in the black ink, but in the space between the words, where one's mind and heart add meaning to the words and rhythms of the poem. Poetry too depends on this white space.

Pattern is formed by the rhythm between the white and the filled spaces.

I think Sundays are my weekly white space.

I am an extrovert as those who know me can attest to. I tire their ears sometimes, especially when I am struggling through a complex thought. You see as is definitive of an extrovert, I process externally through communications with others. It is fortunate that my loved ones are patient, as I have been known to go on tangents. As I have gotten older, however, I have also grown to value that place in-between as being important. That space of emptiness and light is where my soul is replenished and the darkness finds balance.


1 comment:

  1. I love talking about white space. I live with 5 artists and it is often a topic of conversation in our house.

    Aren't blogs a blessing for those of us who love to talk? My blog has been such a wonderful outlet for me. Love to see that you knit. Much of my life revolves around fiber and yarn.

    Wonderful meeting you through Citar Sunday!

    ReplyDelete