Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Politics of Knitting


I have had a few issues with typical knitting technique instructions. One has been their propensity for telling me that a twisted stitch is achieved by knitting through the back loop. More than half the time that is not true for me, I get a nice flat stitch when knitting through the back loop and a twisted one when knitting through the front loop. But not always. The key to my style is its consistent erratic nature; I can discern the method and the fabriced outcome meets the intent but the path of the work varies each time I pick up the sticks.

Another issue I have had with typical instructions is being told to wrap a thread "Clockwise" or conversely "counterclockwise" In my mind left and right or counterclockwise all depends on one's perspective and from which of many direction you are looking.

I seldom find anyone sharing my confusion, though.

Until now.

I am reading a book, titled "Knitting for Anarchists". The author tells me I am not alone, and that the important way to knit is through the leg of the stitch that is in front of the body of the stitch, closest to the needle point. ...and that works. She urges readers to avoid knitting from any particular ideology and develop the techniques that achieve the knitting fabric YOU like. Its good advice, but best followed after one has explored the various options. Personally I am practicing Peruvian Knitting. There is an interesting video of the Peruvian technique on YOUTUBE.


I thrive on change, and work at the discipline to establish some kind of consistency.
Like our political identities, we are defined as knitters by our attitude toward change. I am a confirmed liberal with a dash of revolutionary thrown in when the time is right for it...when faced with tyranny,
Haven't read many chapters yet the book, but this promises to be a good read.

But on an easier topic.....
Spring is here, as is evidenced by the rose shown in today's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment